Adding Mixed Numbers

Date: 12/10/95 at 11:57:56
From: Anonymous
Subject: Fractions

   3 1/4 + 5 3/12

I've been trying this over and over again and I still don't get it!
Please help.

Date: 12/11/95 at 11:45:59
From: Doctor Ken
Subject: Re: Fractions

Hello!

There are a couple of different ways you could approach this problem.
You could either convert the mixed numerals to improper fractions and
then add, or you could add the parts separately.  Here's what I mean
when I say you could add the parts separately.

Ask yourself "what does 3 1/4 mean?"  It means 3 + 1/4. Similarly,
5 3/12 means 5 + 3/12. So 3 1/4 + 5 3/12 just means 3 + 1/4 + 5 + 3/12.
So that's four numbers that we can add together.  I think it's easiest
to add the 3 and the 5 together, and then add the 1/4 and the 3/12
together.

Now 3 + 5 = 8, and what is 1/4 + 3/12?  Hint: you're going to have to
get a common denominator. Do you know what a denominator is? It's the
part on the bottom of the fraction. So once you do that, you'll have
your answer: it will be 8 and whatever your answer is to the fraction
addition part.

Good luck!

- Doctor Ken,  The Geometry Forum

Associated Topics: