Working with Mixed Number Fractions

Date: 1/23/96 at 18:43:56
From: Anonymous
Subject: Fractions - operations with mixed numbers

I don't really understand what to do.  How do I subtract, add,
or multiply a mixed number fraction?

Date: 3/18/96 at 16:57:4
From: Doctor Patrick
Subject: Re: Fractions - operations with mixed numbers

Hi -

When you want to work with mixed number fractions the first step is to
change the fractions from a mixed number to a "top heavy"  fraction.
For example, 2 1/3 would become 7/3.  You do this by  multiplying the
whole number, (in this case the 2), by the denominator  (3) and add the
number you get to the numerator (1).  So, 2 * 3 + 1 =7.  This is your new
numerator.  The denominator doesn't need to change for this step.

Do you understand how this works?  What would 3 2/5 be changed to?

After you change the fractions you work with them just like normal
fractions.  How would you solve 1 1/2 - 2/3?

There is also the case where you only have a whole number and no
fraction in a problem, such as 2 - 1/2.  In that case, you can
write the number as the number (for example 2) over 1 since 2/1
is the same thing as 2.  From there you can go on and solve the
problem the way you would normally.

-Doctor Patrick,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
Elementary Fractions