Fractions for 3rd and 4th Graders

Date: 2/13/96 at 11:32:43
From: Bianca Andersen Kurti
Subject: Fractions

Dr. Math,

I need to come up with creative and effective ways to teach
fractions to some 3rd and 4th graders. We are going to cover parts
of a unit, parts of groups, adding and subtracting, etc. Can you
help? Thanks.

Bianca Kurti

Date: 9/23/96 at 9:35:21
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: Fractions

Hi Bianca! The best thing that I can do is point you to the resources
in the Math Forum's Internet Mathematics Library, a searchable list
available at:

  http://mathforum.org/library/

One of the lessons (Mars Fraction Hunt by Paul T. Williams) I found through
the Library is replicated below. In particular, you should check out the
fractions/decimals/percents section at:

   http://mathforum.org/library/browse/static/topic/fractions.html

An example of a lesson I found there is Fraction City, by Dr. Mavis Kelley:

   http://www.teachnet.com/lesson/math/matgen.html

You can find others at:

  http://unite.ukans.edu/explorer-db/browse/static/Mathematics/index.html

You might also try The Eisenhower National Clearinghouse at:

  http://enc.org

and the Dr. Math archives at:

  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

I hope this helps.

  http://www.col-ed.org/cur/math/math19.txt

TITLE: MARS FRACTION HUNT
AUTHOR: Paul T. Williams, Vanguard Honors Program, Phoenix, AZ
GRADE LEVEL: Appropriate for grades 3 - 5.

OVERVIEW and PURPOSE:  This lesson is designed to give the students
practice in the use of fractions, changing fractions, using equivalent
fractions, and paying attention to detail.  This lesson works well at
fourth grade level, but I find it can have good use with advanced
third graders.

OBJECTIVES:  The student will be able to:

 1. Divide a word into appropriate fractional parts
 2. Use equivalent fractions to correctly divide words
 3. Pay attention to details in instructions relating to
    "first", "last", "second", etc.
 4. The student will analyze the clues and decode the message.

RESOURCES/MATERIALS NEEDED:  A MARS candy bar, classroom globe (on a
small stand or cradle), activities paper. Before the activity, the
MARS bar should be hidden under the classroom globe.  The ANSWER KEY
for the activity is:

FOR THE FIRST ONE TO FINISH THIS THERE WAITS A PRIZE IF YOU USE YOUR
HEAD.  CLUE: MARS IS DIRECTLY BENEATH THE SOUTH POLE. GO LOOK.

ACTIVITIES: (See "Resources/Materials Needed" for necessary
preparation and activities page)  The student will write the
appropriate parts of the words on the line to form a new word.  When
the message is complete, the first student to decode the message will
be rewarded by finding the hidden candy bar (MARS bar).

TYING IT ALL TOGETHER:  After the winner has claimed his prize, the
assignment should be reviewed. During this exercise, many of the
students claim that "no such words exist."  This is where it is
necessary for them to pay attention to the details of the
instructions.  Usually the brighter students will be the ones to win;
in that case, the teacher could team the students into pairs or small
teams - if this is done, it is best to be sure to have a MARS bar
available for each winning team member.

FRACTION HUNT

1.   The first half of food + the last
     quarter of door.
____________________
2.   The last third of hat + the first
     2/5 of heavy.
____________________
3.   The second 1/3 of office + the last
     1/4 of door + the first 1/3 of street.
____________________
4.   The last half of go + the last
     1/2 of done.
____________________
5.   The last 1/8 of elephant + the
     first 1/5 of order.
____________________
6.   The first 3/4 of fine + the last
     3/4 of dish.
____________________
7.   The last 1/6 of cement + the
     first 3/7 of history.
____________________
8.   The last half of bath + the first
     1/3 of end + the last 2/7 of require.
____________________
9.   The first 2/5 of water + the last
     3/4 of fits.
____________________
10.  The last 1/6 of Glenda.
____________________
1.  The first 1/3 of principal + the
     first half of zero.
____________________
12.  The first 1/7 of instant + the first
     third of fat.
____________________
13.  The first 2/5 of young + the first
     1/10 of understand.
____________________
14.  The first 1/4 ugly + the first 1/5
     of settlement.
____________________
15.  The first 1/4 of youthful + the last
     half of pour.
____________________
16.  The first 1/4 of hesitate + the last
     2/3 of sad.
____________________
17.  The first 1/3 of permanent + the first
     half of iodine.
____________________
18.  The first 2/6 of clover + the last
     2/4 of blue.
____________________
19.  The first 1/4 of Mark + the last
     3/5 of stars.
____________________
20.  The last 1/4 of Meri + the first
     1/5 of Susan.
____________________
21.  The first 3/5 of dirty + the last
     3/7 of perfect + the first 2/5 of Lynda.
____________________
22.  The first 3/4 of bent + the last
     2/3 of breath.
____________________
23.  The first 1/3 of Thomas + the first
     1/8 of Endicott.
____________________
24.  The first 3/5 of sound + the last
     2/9 of Aylsworth.
____________________
25.  The first quarter of positive + the
     first two thirds of Lee.
____________________
26.  The first 4/9 of periscope + the
     last 2/5 of blood.
27.  The first third of get + the second
     fourth of Jody.
28.  The first half of loud + the last half
     of book.
-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Elementary Fractions