Adding Fractions

Date: 6/5/96 at 18:23:49
From: Anonymous
Subject: Adding fractions

Can you help me with this question?

   1 1/2
+  4 3/2
  -------

Date: 6/14/96 at 9:50:25
From: Doctor Ethan
Subject: Re: Adding fractions

Hello -

First, do you know how to add normal fractions like

1/3 + 4/3   ?

When they have the same denominator you just have to add the tops
together, so 1/3 + 4/3 = (1+4)/3 = 5/3

Now, with that under our belts we can get to your problem.

I always think that the easiest thing to do when you are working
with mixed numerals is to first convert them into single fractions.

So 1 1/2 = 2/2 + 1/2 = 3/2

and 4 3/2 = 8/2 + 3/2 = 11/2

Now you just need to add 3/2 + 11/2
which by the rule we discussed earlier is (3+11)/2 = 14/2
which reduces to 7.

Hope that helps.

-Doctor Ethan,  The Math Forum

Elementary Fractions