Equivalent Fractions

Date: 6/11/96 at 19:37:39
From: Anonymous
Subject: Equivalent fractions

Dr.Math,

I don't understand equivalent fractions. I understand how to
do them, but I don't understand how you would know if one is
right. Please help!
                        Molly Tennis

Date: 6/14/96 at 1:0:20
From: Doctor Peter
Subject: Re: Equivalent fractions

Fractions are equivalent if they are the same when written in reduced
form.  For example, 4/8 is equivalent to 5/10 because they both
simplify to 1/2.  If you use a pocket calculator, there is another
easy way to check if they are equivalent.  Take the numerator (top
number of fraction) and divide by the denominator (bottom number).
If you get the same answer when you do this to two fractions, they
are equivalent.

-Doctor Peter,  The Math Forum
 Check out our web site!

Associated Topics: