Order of Operations

Date: 8/21/96 at 21:20:53
From: Anonymous
Subject: Order of Operations

How do I solve (8.2-3.6)(3*3.6+6)?

Date: 8/22/96 at 11:49:14
From: Doctor Leigh
Subject: Re: Order of Operations

Thank you for your question.  The order of operations is:

Parenthesis
Exponents
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction

To help myself think of this I remember a saying that was taught me.
It is "Please excuse my dear aunt Sally".  You may notice that the
first letter of each word matches the first letter in each of the
operations.

So...now to solve your problem.

(8.2-3.6)(3*3.6+6)    Parenthesis first...

(4.6)(3*3.6+6)        Since no exponents, then multiplication...

(4.6)(10.8+6)         Then since no division, addition...

(4.6)(16.8)           Finally, since we are all done inside the
parenthesis.

77.28 is the answer

-Doctor Leigh Ann,  The Math Forum

Elementary Fractions