Fractions and Decimals

Date: 02/15/99 at 08:21:05
From: Brittney
Subject: Fractions and Decimals

I have to make 17/11 a proper fraction, and I don't know how to do it.

Date: 02/15/99 at 22:47:01
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Fractions and Decimals

The basic idea in this problem is that a proper fraction has to be
less than one; that is, the numerator (top) must be less than the
denominator (bottom). In 17/11, that isn't true, so you have to find a
way to rewrite it as a mixed number so that the fraction part is
proper.

Suppose I take a piece of paper and cut it into 11 equal strips. That
gives me 11 elevenths. To get 17 elevenths, how many more do I need?
Yes, 17 - 11 = 6. So I take another sheet of paper and cut it into
elevenths, and take 6 of them. Now I have 17 elevenths. But I can also
call it one whole sheet and 6 more elevenths: 1 6/11. That's the mixed
fraction form for 17/11.

What I did was to divide 17 by 11 and find that the result is 1 with a
remainder of 6. That is, it took one whole sheet and 6 extra elevenths.
That's how you solve this sort of problem: divide the numerator by the
denominator, and use the quotient as the whole number part and the
remainder as the new numerator (with the same denominator you started
with).

Here's another example: what is 28/3 as a mixed number?

Divide 28 by 3 and you get 9 with a remainder of 1. So the 28/3 can be
written as

       1
    9 ---
       3