Reciprocal of a Mixed Number

Date: 06/01/99 at 18:43:42
From: Jake Ekola
Subject: Reciprocals

What is the reciprocal of 6 and 1/3? I switched the fraction to 3/1
but I'm not sure what to do with the whole number.

Date: 06/01/99 at 23:13:08
From: Doctor Peterson

Hi, Jake.

Before you can take the reciprocal of a number, you have to write it
as a single fraction. So convert 6 1/3 to an improper fraction, then
turn that upside down. The reciprocal of 1/3 will have little to do
with the answer.

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum

Elementary Fractions