Decimals by Numeric Value

Date: 03/12/2001 at 23:14:01
From: Anthony
Subject: Decimals

Arrange these numbers from least to greatest.

0.1, 0, 0.01, 1.0

Date: 03/13/2001 at 11:38:03
From: Doctor Patti
Subject: Re: Decimals

Hello Anthony,

Thank you for writing to Dr. Math.

Let's take a closer look at the numbers given.

     0.1 = 0.10
       0 = 0
    0.01 = 0.01
     1.0 = 1.00

All I've done is add a few zeros.

Now, we have the (equivalent) four numbers:

      0.10
         0
      0.01
      1.00

Let me add a familiar symbol, a dollar sign:

    $ 0.10
    $    0
    $ 0.01
    $ 1.00

Does this look a little bit more familiar?  We have

    $ 0.10  ten cents
    $    0  an empty pocket :^(
    $ 0.01  a penny
    $ 1.00  one dollar

I hope this will help you answer your question. Please write back if
you would like to see a more formal answer on how to organize decimals
by numeric value.

- Doctor Patti, The Math Forum

Elementary Fractions