Triangles with Specific Lengths and Angles

Date: 3/24/96 at 18:35:54
From: David Rider
Subject: I have a problem on a triangle

My base is 32 inches, my angle can not exceed 35 degrees.
How long will my sides be and what is the inside angle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave Rider

Date: 3/31/96 at 5:2:33
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: I have a problem on a triangle

Hi there! Looks to me like a lot of different triangles will fit
your rules.  To see this, I'd suggest doing the following:

Mark off 32 inches on a yardstick or with tape on the sidewalk
or a floor. Use a protractor to draw an angle of 35 degrees from
the end of your tape mark. Use two sticks (or two rulers, or
whatever) to form triangles that go from one end of the tape mark
to the other and which have an angle of 35 degrees or less.

I think you'll find quite a few triangles that will work.  Good luck
and write back if you need any more help!

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
Elementary Geometry
Elementary Triangles and Other Polygons