Dividing a Circle

Date: 5/29/96 at 22:6:27
From: Vecziedl
Subject: Area of circle and pi

If pi is 3.141..., can a circle truly be separated into 4 equal parts?

         -Annie V.

Date: 5/30/96 at 14:36:22
From: Doctor Darrin
Subject: Re: Area of circle and pi

Yes, a circle can be separated into 4 equal parts.  The parts will
each have area equal to one fourth of the circle's area, so if the
circle has radius one, each part will have area pi/4=.785...

The fact that pi is not an integer means that the area is not an
integer, but it doesn't mean that we can't divide the circle into
equal parts.

-Doctor Darrin,  The Math Forum

Elementary Circles
Elementary Geometry