How to Make a Square with Three Lines

Date: 06/19/2001 at 16:14:33
From: Gary
Subject: How to make a square with three lines

Dear Dr. Math,

I have a question assigned by my teacher. He said it is possible to
make a square with three lines, but I don't know how to do it. Can you
help me?

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Gary

Date: 06/19/2001 at 16:52:21
From: Doctor Jaffee
Subject: Re: How to make a square with three lines

Hi Gary,

I'll give you a hint.

Draw two parallel line segments each extending the entire width of a
piece of paper and in such a way that the distance between them is the
same as the width of paper. Now draw a segment that is perpendicular
to the two original segments.

Next hint - you'll need tape and scissors to finish.

Give it a try and if you want to check your solution with me, write
back.  If you are having difficulties, let me know and tell me what
you have done so far, and I'll try to help you some more.

Good luck.

- Doctor Jaffee, The Math Forum

Elementary Geometry
Elementary Puzzles