Converting Fahrenheit to Celsius

Date: 24 Feb 1995 14:04:28 -0500
From: Yacu@gg.ncook.k12.il.us, Christopher
Subject: info please

Dear Dr. Math,

        I was wondering if you could tell me how to convert Fahrenheit
to Celsius.  I am a student in fifth grade.  Any info would be appreciated.

                                                        Thanks,
                                                        Chris Yacu

Date: 24 Feb 1995 19:23:49 -0500
From: David Weksler
Subject: Re: info please

Chris -

 Thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

 Here's the formula that I use to convert from Fahrenheit to Celsius:
          Start with the degrees in Fahrenheit (F), then,
          Subtract 32, then,
          Multiply the number by 5 then,
          Divide the number by 9 and that is your answer.

 For example, I'll convert 212 degrees F to Celsius.
          212 - 32 = 180
          180 x 5  = 900
          900 / 9  = 100
 There's my answer, 100 degrees C.

 Here's a formula for doing the conversion (F stands for the degrees
in Fahrenheit and C stands for the degrees Celsius)

(F-32) x 5/9 = C

 I hope that helps you. Let me know if it isn't clear to you.

-- David Weksler (House Staff)          wex@mathforum.org

Associated Topics:
Elementary Temperature