An Easy Definition of Calculus

Date: 9/4/95 at 20:23:3
From: Anonymous
Subject: Maths

Question:
What is calculus?

Date: 9/6/95 at 11:49:5
From: Doctor Ken
Subject: Re: Maths

Hello!

Calculus is a subject of math that people usually study in their last couple
of years of high school or their first couple of years of college.  Do you
know what a function is?  Calculus is, in some sense, the study of functions.
You learn how to do all kinds of neat things to functions, things called
differentiation, integration, and things like that.

You also might learn how to add up things like this:

1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + ....  = 2

And you'd learn that you can't add up things like this:

1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + .... because the answer is infinite.

So that's a brief introduction to calculus.  If you want to check out some
other things in Calculus, check out our archives in the High School and
College sections.  It has lots of Calc problems.

- Doctor Ken,  The Geometry Forum

Associated Topics:
High School Calculus
High School Definitions