Chinese Abacus

Date: 4/8/96 at 13:50:46
From: Anonymous
Subject: Abacus

Dear Dr. Math,

Where can I find information on using a Chinese abacus?

Date: 4/13/96 at 0:57:44
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: abacus

Hi Christian!

The abacus is a nifty tool.  Hope you get a chance to
play with one soon.  You can find some information about the
abacus on the Web at

On this page, you'll find information about addition and
subtraction with an abacus and a bit of its history.

One printed reference I've just heard of is called _Abacus
Arithmetic_ by Welton Crook, published by Pacific Books, Palo
Alto, CA.

I haven't had a chance to look at it, but Erez Kaplan, who is
interested in the history of computing - which includes simple
"computers" like the abacus - suggested it to me, with the warning
that REALLY understanding an abacus will take both time and work.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
Elementary Math History/Biography