Multiplying Sets

Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 08:24:43 -0800 (PST)
From: "D'Ann James Douglas"
Subject: Question

If you are multiplying three sets of 8 do you write the problem
 8             3
x3      or    x8          Thank you,  Linda

                           Mrs. Douglas' Class
		           Sallie Curtis Elem
                           Beaumont, Texas

Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 20:06:18 +0000
From: Elizabeth Weber
Subject: Re: Question

Hi Linda!  Thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

     Whether you write "a set of eight, three times" or "three times a set
of eight" isn't important; they mean the same thing, and you get the same
answer either way.  So, I guess the answer to your question is that it
doesn't matter.

                           -Elizabeth, math doctor on duty

Associated Topics:
Elementary Multiplication