Macintosh Elementary Math Software

Date: 01/14/97 at 08:05:47
From: Anonymous
Subject: Software for Mac Computer - Multiplication 3rd Grade

Dear Dr. Math,

I have a daughter in the 3rd grade who is having a real problem
memorizing her multiplication tables.  Are there any good Macintosh
software packages out there for elementary school math that would help
her learn multiplication?  She will know something one minute and then
five minutes later she will forget the answer. It is very frustrating.
Help!  Thank you for any help you can give us.

Date: 01/14/97 at 13:29:29
From: Doctor Steve.

Hello,

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools have published their mathematics
manipulative and software correlation for grades K-6 showing which
software packages teach which concepts:

  http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/Departments/Math/element.html

There's a Web site that offers two pages of reviews of math software
for young students:

  http://www.superkids.com/aweb/pages/reviews/math1/sw_sum1.shtml
  http://www.superkids.com/aweb/pages/reviews/math2/sw_sum1.shtml

My son has played with and enjoyed the MathBlaster titles and you can
read about them at the publisher's site:

  http://www.davd.com/fun/mega.html

He has also liked many of the Learning Company products and you can
read about them at the publisher's Web site:

  http://products.learningco.com/

There's a review of Treasure Galaxy here:

  http://tcp.ca/Dec94/MathAdventure.html

We, at the Math Forum, host a page pointing to math software reviews:

  http://mathforum.org/mathed/math.software.reviews.html

You can get a reasonable selection of products to investigate by using
our Internet Mathematics Library Searcher, selecting "Elementary" as
the level and "Software" as the type of resource (for a more focused
search, enter a keyword):

  http://mathforum.org/library/#search

Two other internet software sites to check out are Math Archives-
Software and the K-12 Math Lessons and Software Database:

  http://archives.math.utk.edu/software.html

  http://www.mste.uiuc.edu/mathed/queryform.html

There's a site, about which we know very little, that is advertising
education software discounts as well as selling some of the titles
mentioned above:

  http://www.softwareoutlet.com/educat.htm

MathTutor5 is being advertised on the Internet, but we can't vouch for
it:

  http://www.infomath.com/noframes/tables.html

Here's a multiplication table lesson plan by V.Halsted, Lincoln
Elementary, Woodburn, Oregon:

  http://yn.la.ca.us/cec/cecmath/cecmath.02.txt

BasicMulti is a flash card program:

  http://eveyrenner.com/math.html

Here's another very extensive education software listing from Computer
Digest:

  http://www.gy.com/computer/ed.htm

-Doctor Steve,  The Math Forum

Elementary Multiplication