Multiples

Date: 11/08/2001 at 18:37:33
From: Sam Frey
Subject: Multiples

What is the most common multiple of 13 and 7?  I have no clue what
they are even talking about - this is the question my grandson called
me about asking for help. Maybe I've forgotten more than I ever knew
for I don't recall learning how to do this and the only possibility I
can even think of is 1. What say you?

Thanks!

Date: 11/08/2001 at 19:59:47
From: Doctor Terrel
Subject: Re: Multiples

Hi Sam,

First, I think what is being asked for here is the "least" common
multiple.

Next, the "multiple of a number" is best explained by an example or
two.

The multiples of 6 are

   6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 42, 48, 54, etc.

The multiples of 4 are

   4, 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48, etc.

Then the common multiples of 4 and 6 are

   12, 24, 36, 48, ... [that is, those showing up in BOTH lists].

Finally, the least common multiple of 4 and 6 is 12, as it's the
smallest one.

Try my Web page for more about this:

   LCM's via the Calculator - Terrel Trotter
   http://www.geocities.com/ttrotter3/mom.html

Good luck.

- Doctor Terrel, The Math Forum

Elementary Multiplication