Magic Squares puzzle

Date: Wed, 9 Nov 1994 08:10:14 -0800
From: Rick Jermain
Subject: Math Puzzle Answer needed

Dear Dr. Math,

Can you please send me the Puzzle (and the solution) called the
Magic Square?

This is a puzzle where you have to arrange numbers so that they add
up to the same number, vertically, horizontally, and diagonally.

Please help.  Thanks in advance.

-Rick

Date: Fri, 11 Nov 1994 10:46:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: Magic Squares

Hello Rick!

In answer to your question, there are MANY such Magic Squares of all
kinds of different sizes.  Here's one:

                        8       1       6

                        3       5       7

                        4       9       2

There's an easy way to make them, too, that I believe works for any
size square.  Start by putting a 1 in the middle of the top row.  Then
move up and to the right one space (when you run out of squares to
move to, imagine that your Magic Square were shifted up or over n
spaces, where n is the dimension of the square) and put a 2 in that square.

See how I did that above?  Moving up and to the right from 1, I imagined
that the Magic Square were moved up three spaces, and that's how I knew
where to put the 2.  Then do the same thing to place the 3.  Keep going
like this until you reach a space that's already full.  Whe you come to one,
space immediately below it. Then continue moving up and to the right,
and placing the next consecutive numbers, and when you come to a space
that's already full, deal with it the same way as I just described: go back
to the space you just came from, and put the next number immediately below it.

If you're having trouble figuring out what I said, look at my example and
see if you can piece it together.  If you're still having trouble, mail us
back.  Have fun!

-Ken "Dr." Math

Associated Topics:
Elementary Projects