Multiplying with an Abacus

Date: 3/12/96 at 15:15:23
From: Amy LeForge
Subject: multiplying with an abacus

Is it possible to multiply with an abacus?  My students have
searched for an hour and found only addition and subtraction.
Help!

Date: 4/13/96 at 1:11:33
From: Doctor Jodi
Subject: Re: multiplying with an abacus

Hi there!  I *believe* that the answer is yes.  I asked Erez
Kaplan, who is interested in the history of computing - including
simple "computers" like the abacus - for information about
multiplying with an abacus.  He referred me to the following book:

Abacus Arithmetic by Welton Crook, published by Pacific Books,
Palo Alto, CA

I haven't had a chance to look at it and I'd be interested to know
what you find out.  Good luck!

-Doctor Jodi,  The Math Forum

Associated Topics:
Elementary Projects