Decillion, Vigintillion, Trigintillion...

Date: 12/10/98 at 13:42:44
From: Brennan Trichardt
Subject: Large Numbers

After seeing your posting on Large numbers

[see http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.large.numbers.html   ]

I see the pattern.

Could you please complete the following pattern?

   1 with 33  zeros after it is a Decillion
   1 with 63  zeros after it is a Vigintillion
   1 with 93  zeros after it is a Trigintillion
   1 with 123 zeros after it is a ?
   1 with 153 zeros after it is a ?
   1 with 183 zeros after it is a ?
   1 with 213 zeros after it is a ?
   1 with 243 zeros after it is a ?
   1 with 273 zeros after it is a ?
   1 with 303 zeros after it is a Centillion

I'm writing a program that will convert numbers into the text of how
to say them.

Example:

   input: 120340000000
   output: OneHundredTwentyBillionThreeHundredFortyMillion

Date: 12/10/98 at 14:44:55
From: Doctor Schwa
Subject: Re: Large Numbers

From John Conway and Richard Guy, _The Book Of Numbers_, p. 15:

[The * below means:
When it is immediately before a component marked with s or x, tre
increases to tres and se to s or x as appropriate. Similarly septe and
nove increase to septem and novem or septen and noven immediately
before components marked with m or n.]

  units: (prefixes)

     un
     duo
     tre (*)
     quattuor
     quinqua
     se (*)
     septe (*)
     octo
     nove (*)

  tens:

     (n)  deci
     (ms) viginti
     (ns) triginta
     (ns) quadraginta
     (ns) quinquaginta
     (n)  sexaginta
     (n)  septuaginta
     (mx) octoginta
          nonaginta

  hundreds:

     (nx) centi
     (n)  ducenti
     (ns) trecenti
     (ns) quadringenti
     (ns) quingenti
     (n)  sescenti
     (n)  septingenti
     (mx) octingenti
          nongenti

Conway and Guy also describe a method to extend this to the naming of
all numbers,

  by combining these according to the convention that XilliYilliZillion
  (say) denotes the (1000000X + 1000Y + Z)th zillion, using "nillion"
  for the zeroth "zillion" when this is needed as a placeholder. So
  for example the million-and-third zillion is a "millinillitrillion".

That means (American) 10^3000012, or (British) 10^6000018.

I hope you enjoy this idea as much as I do! Anything that gives me an
excuse to use the word "zillion" and "millinillitrillion" makes my day.

- Doctor Schwa, The Math Forum

Elementary Large Numbers