What is the Largest Number?

Date: 11/14/95 at 12:22:31
From: "Rebecca J. White"
Subject: numbers question

Dear Dr. Math,

We are a 3/4 class, studying large numbers.  We have a question for you.
We want to know what the highest number is.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Stanko's students

Date: 11/14/95 at 20:8:12
From: Doctor Ethan
Subject: Re: numbers question

Neat Question!

I think the reason that you are having trouble finding the answer is
because there is no answer.

Let's see why.

1,000,000,000 (1 billion) can't be the largest number because
1 billion + 1 is bigger.

But that is true for any number you pick.

You can pick any big number and I can pick a bigger one just by adding 1
to it.

Mathematicians make up a name for the quantity bigger than all
the numbers.  They call it infinity, but infinity isn't a number, it is
just a name for the thing bigger than all numbers.

Hope this makes sense to you,

-Doctor Ethan,  The Geometry Forum

Associated Topics:
Elementary Large Numbers