That's a Big Number!

Date: 12/11/96 at 00:40:34
From: Mason
Subject: That's a Big Number!

Dr. Math,

I'm in grade 5, and I have a question:

What number is
1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000?

Date: 12/11/96 at 11:26:20
From: Doctor Rob
Subject: Re: That's a Big Number!

Good question!

One quattuordecillion.

Usually we write this as 10^45 or 10 to the 45th power.  The names for
these kinds of big numbers come from the Latin words for three, four,
five, etc.  This one corresponds to the Latin word for 14, or
"quattuordecem," because there are 15 triples of zeroes.  I don't know
why this system seems to be one off from what you expect.  I think it
is just an historical accident.

-Doctor Rob,  The Math Forum

Elementary Large Numbers