Can He Buy Enough Hose?

Date: 12 May 1995 08:50:57 -0400
From: Anonymous
Subject: math problem

George needs 33 yards of hose to water his lawn. He has $25. He can get 50
feet of hose for $12.99. Can he buy enough hose?

Please send answer to Mr. Borstein.

Date: 13 May 1995 17:37:58 -0400
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: math problem

Hello there, Mr. Bornstein and friends!

To solve this problem, you essentially just have to compare some quantities;
the last thing you say is that George can get 50 feet of hose for $12.99
and he needs 33 x 3 = 99 feet of hose for his garden.

If George can only buy hose in 50 Ft. bundles, then he needs 2 bundles to
get his 99 feet.  This will cost 2 x $12.99 = $25.98, so George doesn't have
quite enough money to do it.  I suggest he borrow 98 cents though, since
he's just so darn close.

If the hose is sold by the foot (which may not be a valid assumption, since
I think it's usually sold in bundles), this is $12.99 / 50 = 25.98 cents per
foot.  At this price, 99 feet will cost $25.72, so he still doesn't have
quite enough money, but he's closer.  Thanks for the question!

-K

Associated Topics:
Elementary Word Problems