Rows of Cans of Tuna

Date: 8/26/96 at 20:46:20
From: Anonymous
Subject: Rows of Tuna

Cans of tuna are arranged in a display that has 4 rows.  Each row has
one more can than the row in front of it.  If the last row has 10
cans, how many cans are in the display?

I got an answer of 34, but some people disagree with  me!

Date: 8/27/96 at 2:38:22
From: Doctor Mike
Subject: Re: Rows of Tuna

Hello,

I can see how you got 34 cans total.  The only way I could see anybody
disagreeing with you is that the meaning of "last row" might not be
clear.  Is the last row the one that has the most cans, or is the last
row the one that has the least?  Depending on your answer to that
question the total is either

10 cans + 9 cans + 8 cans + 7 cans = 34 cans
 or
10 cans + 11 cans + 12 cans + 13 cans = 46 cans.

It is not that anybody is wrong here.  We just need to make sure we
all understand the problem.  Write us back if you have any more
questions.

-Doctor Mike,  The Math Forum

Elementary Word Problems