Kindergarten Math Problems

Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 16:06:00 -0500
From: kate basler
Subject: Kindergarten Math Problems

Dear Dr. Math,

        I am a kindergarten teacher who has some very interested and
interesting math students.  Are you willing to talk with us about math?
Maybe you have a problem for us to work on so we can get acquainted?

        Please let us know by sending a message to our teacher, Kate.

Students in Kindergarten 104 at the Graham and Parks School, Camb., Ma.
K. Basler
Pollyanna Puckfumbler

Date: Tue, 1 Nov 1994 16:39:24 -0500
Subject: Re: Kindergarten Math Problems

> Are you willing to talk with us about math?
> Maybe you have a problem for us to work on so we can get acquainted?

Hi,
        I am Ethan, one of the math doctors.  To answer your first question,
YES we would love to talk to you about math.  Send us all your questions.
To answer your second, I don't have any problems right now that would be
appropriate for your level, but if any of the other doctors do they will
send them along soon.  In the meantime I'll see if I can find any.
                Have fun with your math
                        Ethan

Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 16:51:19 -0500

Well, Kate, they came through faster than I thought--here are a couple from
another math doctor.

If you were having a party with four people how would you cut a pizza so
that everybody got the same size piece?  What if there were eight people?
How about six?  And for a really hard one, how about five?

I decided to give pennies to trick-or-treaters on Halloween for Unicef.  I
gave 1 penny to the first person, 3 pennies to the second, 5 to the third.
How many did I give to the fourth? If I had 24 pennies to give away, how
many people would I be able to give money to if I followed the same
pattern?

Hope you can use them.

        Ethan

Associated Topics: