Wolf, Cabbage, Goat, and River

Date: 9/11/96 at 21:14:44
From: Anonymous
Subject: Wolf, Cabbage, Goat, and River

A man has a goat, a wolf and a cabbage. He must cross a river in a
boat that will only carry one item at a time.  If he leaves the goat
and the cabbage and takes the wolf, the goat will eat the cabbage.
If he leaves the wolf and the goat and takes the cabbage, the wolf
will eat the goat. The same applies once they are on the other side.

How does the man get the items across the river?

Date: 9/11/96 at 21:47:6
From: Doctor Patrick
Subject: Re: Wolf, Cabbage, Goat, and River

Hi!  Rather then give you the answer and spoil all the fun of solving
the problem let me give you a hint to get you started and let you try
the problem on your own.

Your hint: Remember that you can take something back with you in the
boat.

Also there is one combination that is safe to leave together - what
is it?  You will need to figure that out first, and then the rest
should be easy if you play with it enough.

Have fun!

If you still can't get it, write back and we'll see what we can do.

-Doctor Patrick,  The Math Forum

Elementary Puzzles