What does Angle ABC Equal?

Date: 5 Mar 1995 13:07:10 -0500
From: Vivien Cumyn
Subject: Triangle problem

Ok, I've got a real whopper of a problem,

A triangle, ABC, is obtuse angled at C. The bisectors of the exterior
angles at A and B meet BC and AC produced at D and E respectively.
If AB =AD =BE, then angle ABC is equal to ?

Date: 5 Mar 1995 16:53:13 -0500
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: Triangle problem

Hello there!

I'll see if I can give you a few hints, without actually solving the
problem for you.

1) since AB = AD = BE, triangles DAB and ABE are isosceles, so
   angle DBA = BDA, and angle EAB = AEB.

2) Draw your picture with AB horizontal and C below it.  Notice
that there was no asymmetrical information in the problem, meaning
that whatever we constructed on the left side we also constructed on
the right side and vice versa.  So you can probably assume that angle
CAB = CBA, which will greatly reduce the complexity of the
calculations, since you can use the same variable to represent
each of them.

See if you can tackle it now, with these things in mind.  If you can't,
write back and we'll help you out some more.

-Ken "Dr." Math

Associated Topics:
High School Euclidean/Plane Geometry
High School Geometry