Distances From a Point on a Line

Date: 21 Mar 1995 22:38:24 -0500
From: Anonymous
Subject: Points on a line

Need help with a 7th grade Pre-Algebra problem.

A student put points P and Q on a line to the right of point X.
Three times the distance from point X to point P is four times
the distance from point X to point.

Q.  What is the ratio of PQ:XQ? The answer key says 1:4 but
the class and teacher disagree. What do you say?

Date: 22 Mar 1995 09:33:51 -0500
From: Dr. Ken
Subject: Re: Points on a line

Hello there!

Yup, I disagree too.  I get 1:3.  I hope that's what you
folks got too!

-Ken "Dr." Math

Date: 22 Mar 1995 21:43:13 -0500
From: Anonymous