Why Learn about Probability and Statistics?

Date: 04/17/2002 at 00:31:30
From: Brianna Reichelt
Subject: Probability

Why is probability so important to learn? When will we use it in the
real world?

- Brianna

Date: 04/17/2002 at 09:31:52
From: Doctor Mitteldorf
Subject: Re: Probability

Dear Brianna,

It's one way to think about your world and the decisions you make
every day. In living our lives, we're always taking on risks and
exposing ourselves to dangers. We're trying things which we think will
probably succeed, but we're not sure. Probability theory gives you one
way to think about these decisions and may help you take control of
them.

You might enjoy reading the Dr. Math FAQ article on

   Probability in the Real World
   http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.prob.world.html

In professional life, more people use statistics than any other branch
of mathematics. Experimental scientists use statistics every time they
report their results, to give an indication of the accuracy of their
measurements and the likelihood they may be wrong. Medical researchers
use statistics to establish the likelihood that a drug or treatment
will be effective. Social scientists use statistics to generalize
about people's behavior, and marketers and political surveyers put the
same kind of study to practical use for the benefit their clients.
Insurance companies have a business plan that is entirely based on
their understanding of statistical probabilities; if you think about
it, banks are doing the same thing with their lending, but at risk
levels that they hope are much lower. Every manufacturing company
applies statistical techniques to quality control and customer
satisfaction. The list goes on and on...

- Doctors Mitteldorf and Sarah, The Math Forum
High School Probability
High School Statistics
Middle School Probability
Middle School Statistics