Units of Capacity and Weight

Date: 04/24/2002 at 21:15:47
From: Stephen Del Junco
Subject: Units of capacity and weight

How many quarts of water would weigh 1,432 pounds?

I tried to divide 32 oz. into 1432 lbs. but I still don't get it.
Please help!

Thank you,
Stephen

Date: 04/25/2002 at 09:06:38
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Units of capacity and weight

Hi, Stephen.

Dividing a number of pounds by a number of ounces will lead mostly to
confusion. It would be better to divide 1432 pounds by the number of
POUNDS in a quart, which is (approximately) 2. Since each quart
weighs about two pounds, the number of 2's in 1432 will tell you the
number of quarts.

But remember this is only approximate. In the metric system, a liter
of water weighs exactly a kilogram (under the right conditions); but
in the English system, "a pint's a pound" is only approximate, and a
FLUID ounce (a measure of capacity) is not quite the same as an ounce
(weight) of water. In fact, a fluid ounce of water weighs about 1.04
ounces, and a pint weighs 1.04 pounds (American). So you really need
to divide 1432 pounds by 2.08 pounds per quart. This will make a
significant difference!

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum