Square Root Symbol

Date: 04/29/2002 at 14:08:55
From: Jason
Subject: Radicals

Why is there a 2 in the index of a radical? I have searched many
books but none of them explain it so I can understand it.

Date: 04/29/2002 at 14:30:18
From: Doctor Ian
Subject: Re: Radicals

Hi Jason,

Do you mean the little two in the crook of the symbol?

 \ |  8

The two indicates a square root; a three would indicate a cube root,

 \ |  8

and in general,

  n|            (1/n)
 \ |  x      = x

Note that if n isn't specified, a default value of 2 is assumed.

If you're not familiar with the connection between roots and
exponents, take a look at
   Properties of Exponents
Does this help?

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum