Bridging Trig Identities

Date: 06/07/2002 at 11:08:59
From: Susannah
Subject: trigonometric identities

Hi...please help. I have been staring at this question for ages and
I'm getting nowhere:

  Prove
  tan 2A x sec A  = 2sin A  x sec 2A

My teacher told me that when proving these identities you have to
choose one side which is what I have been doing.  I started off by
opening up the identity

  tan2A = 2tanA / 1 - tan*2 A

and then that didn't get anywhere so I changed sides and opened up

  sec2A

but that didn't help either.

Thank you.

Date: 06/07/2002 at 17:05:15
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: trigonometric identities

Hi, Susannah.

Often when you are first working out a proof, it helps to work on
both sides at once; then you can rewrite what you have done in a more
proper way. This is sort of like constructing a bridge by building
both ends toward the middle, but then driving across it in one
direction.

In this case, as in many, it helps a lot to write everything in terms
of sine and cosine:

    tan(2A) * sec(A) =? sec(A) * sec(2A)

    sin(2A)      1        1         1
    ------- * ------ =? ------ * -------
    cos(2A)   cos(A)    cos(A)   cos(2A)

(Notice how I indicated that the "=" is not yet known to be true;
that's my way to keep myself honest when I work this way!)

Now you can apply a double-angle formula and do some canceling, and
you will be able to make both sides look the same. Then you will have
a real equation.

Now how do we walk across the bridge and make it a proper proof?

You will have written a sequence of equivalent equations of the form

    a =? b
    c =? d
    e =  e (this one doesn't need the "?"!)

As long as you have been working on each side separately, you can now
say this:

    a   b
    =   =
    c   d
    =   =
    e = e

That is,

    a = c = e = d = b

and you have proved that a = b! Can you see now how we were working
from both ends? We built the span on the left (a=c) and on the right
(b=d) first, then the middle spans (c=e, d=e) and found we had
connected the two shores. Then we just had to put it all in the right
order and we were done.

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum
High School Trigonometry