Irrational Equations

Date: 06/02/2002 at 16:53:15
From: Brad Strickland
Subject: Irrational Equations

I am having serious trouble finding ANYTHING on irrational
equations.  I have used up all the books my library had on anything
relating to math and no websites seem to have any information on
them.  If you could take a moment to tell me what they are and
perhaps how to go about solving them, I would be most appreciative.

Date: 06/03/2002 at 09:51:02
From: Doctor Rick
Subject: Re: Irrational Equations

Hi, Brad.

I am not familiar with this term. A rational equation is one
involving a ratio of expressions, that is, one expression (such as a
polynomial) divided by another. But there is no sensible way to give
a meaning to "irrational equation" in the same way -- an equation
that does NOT involve ratios, perhaps?

In a quick Web search for the phrase "irrational equation", the only
mathematical references I found were in lists of topics covered in
high school algebra courses. Thus it appears that this is a
pedagogical term only, not one that mathematicians use in the "real
world" (after graduation). The closest I could see to a definition is
something like "an equation involving radicals". I would not use the
term "irrational equation" for this; I'd just say "radical equation".

If this is what the term means, then it's a rather broad category and
no one method will always work. You can search the Dr. Math Archives,

for items using the words "radical" and "equation", or "root"
and "equation", and some of the items you find will give methods for
solving particular "irrational equations".  For example:

- Doctor Rick, The Math Forum

Date: 06/03/2002 at 15:01:02
From: Brad Strickland
Subject: Thank you (Irrational Equations)

Well I checked some stuff out and it looks like Radical
Equations fits the bill.  Thanks for your help, you have
saved me countless hours :]

By the way,

looks to be a good linking page if anyone asks about this again.
Thanks again.
Associated Topics:
Middle School Equations
Middle School Square Roots