Irrational Equations

Date: 06/02/2002 at 16:53:15
From: Brad Strickland
Subject: Irrational Equations

I am having serious trouble finding ANYTHING on irrational
equations.  I have used up all the books my library had on anything
relating to math and no websites seem to have any information on
them.  If you could take a moment to tell me what they are and
perhaps how to go about solving them, I would be most appreciative.

Date: 06/03/2002 at 09:51:02
From: Doctor Rick
Subject: Re: Irrational Equations

Hi, Brad.

I am not familiar with this term. A rational equation is one
involving a ratio of expressions, that is, one expression (such as a
polynomial) divided by another. But there is no sensible way to give
a meaning to "irrational equation" in the same way -- an equation
that does NOT involve ratios, perhaps?

In a quick Web search for the phrase "irrational equation", the only
mathematical references I found were in lists of topics covered in
high school algebra courses. Thus it appears that this is a
pedagogical term only, not one that mathematicians use in the "real
world" (after graduation). The closest I could see to a definition is
something like "an equation involving radicals". I would not use the
term "irrational equation" for this; I'd just say "radical equation".

If this is what the term means, then it's a rather broad category and
no one method will always work. You can search the Dr. Math Archives,

  http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/mathgrepform.html

for items using the words "radical" and "equation", or "root"
and "equation", and some of the items you find will give methods for
solving particular "irrational equations".  For example:

- Doctor Rick, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 06/03/2002 at 15:01:02
From: Brad Strickland
Subject: Thank you (Irrational Equations)

Well I checked some stuff out and it looks like Radical
Equations fits the bill.  Thanks for your help, you have
saved me countless hours :]

By the way,

  http://www.purplemath.com/modules/solvrad.htm

looks to be a good linking page if anyone asks about this again.
Thanks again.
Associated Topics:
Middle School Equations
Middle School Square Roots