The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

Measuring by Degrees

Date: 06/16/2002 at 14:16:21
From: Kathy Milburn
Subject: Angles, degrees and temperature

Why is it that angles and temperature are both measured in 

Date: 06/17/2002 at 12:46:41
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Angles, degrees and temperature

Hi, Kathy.

You can get most of the answer by looking in a good dictionary. 

"Degree" comes from Latin "de" (down) + "gradus" (step). "Degrade", 
"graduation" and "gradual" ("by degrees") come from the same root. 
So any steps, or units, by which some change can be measured can be 
called a degree. That includes degrees of temperature, angle, 
complexity (of a polynomial), or even education (college degrees). 
It's really a very general word, and was even more so in earlier 

If you have any further questions, feel free to write back.

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum 
Associated Topics:
Elementary Definitions
Elementary Terms & Units of Measurement
Middle School Definitions
Middle School Terms/Units of Measurement

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.