Number-Spelling Puzzle

Date: 07/08/2002 at 15:13:51
From: Kate
Subject: What number, spelled out, has letters in alphabetical order?

What is the only number in English that, when spelled out, has all its
letters in alphabetical order? Can you give me the number?

Date: 07/09/2002 at 15:34:07
From: Doctor Ian
Subject: Re: What number, spelled out, has letters in alphabetical
order?

Hi Kate,

It has to be somewhere in this list:

  zero,  one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine,
  ten, eleven, twelve, ___teen,
  twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, sixty, seventy, eighty, ninety,
  hundred, thousand, __illion

(Do you see why?)

So now all you have to do is cross out the ones where at least one
letter is out of order...

Does this help?

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum
Elementary Number Sense/About Numbers