Writing Checks

Date: 07/31/2002 at 15:24:57
From: Christina Mata
Subject: Check writing

I am having trouble writing out a basic check. I need to know how you
write out the cents part and what is the correct way to do it.

I did not find this in the archives and need to know the proper way.
It is for standard personal checks from my bank.

Thank you.

Date: 07/31/2002 at 15:43:35
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Check writing

Hi, Christina.

People do this in several slightly different ways, but probably the
most common way is like this (for $345.75):

    Three hundred forty-five and 75/100 ---------------- dollars

That is, you write out the dollars in words, then write "and"
followed by the number of cents (usually in digits), followed by
"/100" (making this a number of hundredths of a dollar) and a line
through the rest of the space to ensure that it won't be filled in by
someone else.

You might enjoy these sites, which explain in more detail:

   Checkbook Basics - aboutchecking.com

   Banking - MichiganTech

   Check Writing Tutorial - Mazuma Credit Union

I found them by going to Google.com and entering the phrase (in
quotes) "how to write a check" . Lots of other banks want to teach you
this skill, too!

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum
Associated Topics:
High School About Math