Rhombus vs. Rhomboid

Date: 08/27/2002 at 00:38:18
From: Emma Stewart
Subject: Geometry

On a recent version of Australia's "Who wants to be a Millionaire?"
they asked: What shape is the diamond in a set of playing cards?
a) rhomboid b) trapezoid c) trapezium d) rhombus.

I have worked out that the answer is a rhombus. What is a rhomboid? Is
it just the adjective from rhombus or is it a shape?

Date: 08/27/2002 at 09:06:31
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: Geometry

Hi Emma - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

See Eric Weisstein's MathWorld:

   "A quadrilateral with both pairs of opposite sides
    parallel and all sides the same length, i.e.,
    an equilateral parallelogram."

   "A parallelogram in which angles are oblique and
    adjacent sides are of unequal length."

- Doctor Sarah, The Math Forum
Associated Topics:
College Definitions