Measuring a Puddle

Date: 09/05/2002 at 20:25:43
From: Alisa White
Subject: My Problem Of The Week

How many different ways can you measure a puddle?

I need ideas.  Could you please help me?

Date: 09/06/2002 at 17:00:35
From: Doctor Ian
Subject: Re: My Problem Of The Week

Hi Alisa,

How you measure a puddle depends on what you want to know about it:

  To measure the depth, you can poke a stick into the puddle
  until hits the bottom.

  To measure the length, you can hold a yardstick above the puddle.

  To measure the circumference (the distance around), you
  can place a piece of string around the rim of the puddle
  and then use a yardstick to measure the string.

  To measure the volume, you could suck all the water up
  with a vacuum cleaner or a sponge and measure it with a
  measuring cup.

Does this help?

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum
Elementary Geometry