The Math Forum

Ask Dr. Math - Questions and Answers from our Archives
Associated Topics || Dr. Math Home || Search Dr. Math

Changing a Repeating Decimal to a Fraction

Date: 09/22/2002 at 00:00:15
From: Nicole
Subject: Fractions and decimals

How do you change 0.75 in bar notation to a fraction?

Date: 09/22/2002 at 01:35:02
From: Doctor Ian
Subject: Re: Fractions and decimals

Hi Nicole,

Do you mean
  0.757575... = 0.75 = ?

If so, consider this:

         x =  0.757575...

      100x = 75.757575...

  100x - x = 75

       99x = 75

         x = 75/99

Does that make sense? Do you see how you could do something similar 
for other repeating fractions? 

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum 
Associated Topics:
Middle School Fractions

Search the Dr. Math Library:

Find items containing (put spaces between keywords):
Click only once for faster results:

[ Choose "whole words" when searching for a word like age.]

all keywords, in any order at least one, that exact phrase
parts of words whole words

Submit your own question to Dr. Math

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Ask Dr. MathTM
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.