Prorating the Rent

Date: 09/19/2002 at 17:50:24
From: Mandy Mcentire
Subject: Wanting to figure my rent for this month

If my rent is $127 and I moved in on the 11th of this month, what
will my prorated amount be for September?

Date: 09/19/2002 at 19:37:31
From: Doctor White
Subject: Re: Wanting to figure my rent for this month

Mandy -

Mathematically speaking you can figure this by using a proportion.

Number of days
--------------  is a ratio you could use for your proportion.
  total rent

    30 days       20 days     (since there are 20 days left in Sept.)
    $127            $ x

Now you can solve the proportion by cross multiplying and dividing.

   30x = (20)(127),  so

     x = [(20)(127)]/30

I will let you do the computation. I hope this helps you with problems
that can use proportions to find solutions. Come back to see us soon.

- Doctor White, The Math Forum
Middle School Ratio and Proportion
Middle School Word Problems