Line Segment Representing Sqrt(3)

Date: 10/07/2002 at 20:41:13
From: Frank DiMora
Subject: How to draw a line segment in relation to square roots

Dr. Math,

Our math teacher asked us to draw a line segment that represents
radical 3. I've tried to figure this problem out, but I can't seem to
find a logical answer. Could you please help?

Thanks,
Frank DiMora - Auburn High School; Math

Date: 10/08/2002 at 15:12:35
From: Doctor Ian

Hi Frank,

There are a couple of ways you might approach this, depending on how
loosely you want to interpret the word 'represents'. Suppose you draw
a square of any size, and assert that the area of the square is 3
units. Then what will the length of any one side be?

Or, you might try this.  Draw a right triangle like this:

      /|
   2 / | ?
    /  |
    ---
     1

What does the Pythagorean theorem tell you about the length of
the unlabeled side?

Does this help?

- Doctor Ian, The Math Forum
Middle School Square Roots