Order of Quadrant Numbers

Date: 10/21/2002 at 08:04:33
From: Robin Murphy
Subject: Quadrant numbers

Why are quadrants numbered that way?

Date: 10/21/2002 at 12:34:50
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Quadrant numbers

Hi, Robin.

It's hard to know "why" without being able to ask whoever first did
it, but my understanding is that the quadrants are numbered in the
order an angle in standard position passes through them as the angle
increases - that is, counterclockwise starting at the x axis. If you
ask why standard position is what it is, that's even harder to answer
with certainty, but someone just felt that the x-axis (lying down
flat) made a good starting position, and rising from there was a good
direction to start.

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum
High School Coordinate Plane Geometry
High School Definitions