Six Lines Make Twelve Triangles

Date: 11/06/2002 at 16:09:14
From: Thomas Aliberti
Subject: Middle school math

How can I use 6 lines to make 12 triangles? I cannot get this to work.

Date: 11/06/2002 at 20:13:44
From: Doctor Sarah
Subject: Re: Middle school math

Hi Thomas - thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

See if this is what you're trying to do:

The hard part isn't making the drawing so much as counting the
triangles!

- Doctor Sarah, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 11/06/2002 at 20:37:11
From: Thomas Aliberti
Subject: Thank you (Middle school math)

Thank you very much. It is so easy once you see the resolution. I will
take the diagram to my math teacher tomorrow to share with the class.
Associated Topics:
Elementary Puzzles
Elementary Two-Dimensional Geometry
Middle School Puzzles