Triangular Numbers: Find n As a Function of s

Date: 10/13/2002 at 17:04:04
From: Hardev
Subject: Sequences

s = 2, 3, 4, 5

n = 1, 4, 10, 20

I need to find the relation between s and n, where n is the subject,
i.e. n = ....

I have tried to answer by spotting patterns between s, 2s, 3s, etc.,
but am not getting anywhere.

I have noticed that the difference between each n is the triangular
numbers, which have the general formula: (s/2)(s+1) but still can't
find the relation.

Could you please help me?
Regards,
Hardev

Date: 10/14/2002 at 02:04:18
From: Doctor Greenie
Subject: Re: Sequences

Hello, Hardev -

One way to find the formula for n as a function of s is to use the
method of finite differences. Here is a link to a page in the Dr.
Math archives where this method is described, with examples:

   Method of Finite Differences

You can try using this method if you want. If you haven't seen it
before, it might be a good exercise to go through. The method of
finite differences can be a very useful tool to have in your bag of
tricks; using it becomes relatively easy with a little practice.

However, in this case, your observation about the differences being
triangular numbers leads to a different possible plan of attack for
this problem that is probably much less work than using the method of
finite differences.

As you might know, the triangular numbers appear in Pascal's triangle;
this means your sequence of numbers probably appears in Pascal's
triangle also. Let's see if we can find it and use our knowledge of
Pascal's triangle to determine the formula for your sequence.

                   1
                 1   1
               1   2   1
             1   3   3   1
           1   4   6   4   1
         1   5  10  10   5   1
       1   6  15  20  15   6   1
     1   7  21  35  35  21   7   1

The numbers in your sequence - 1, 4, 10, 20, ... - are in the 4th
diagonal row of Pascal's triangle. Given the fact that the j-th entry
in the i-th row of Pascal's triangle is C(i,j), we have the following:

   n(2) = C(3,0)
   n(3) = C(4,1)
   n(4) = C(5,2)
   n(5) = C(6,3)

From this pattern we can conclude that

                       (s+1)(s)(s-1)   s(s^2-1)
   n(s) = C(s+1,s-2) = ------------- = --------
                         (3)(2)(1)         6

I hope this helps.  Please write back if you have any further
questions about any of this.

- Doctor Greenie, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 10/14/2002 at 13:03:21
From: Hardev
Subject: Thank you (Sequences)

Hello Doctor Greenie,

Thank you very much for replying to my question. I had been stuck on
the same part of my mathematics investigation for four days, getting
extremely frustrated. Thanks to you I have been able to take my
investigation as far as it would go.

Thank you again.
Hardev
Associated Topics: