Reuleaux Curve Applications

Date: 05/25/2002 at 04:17:38
From: Jess Brent
Subject: Reuleaux curve applications

I have read a lot of information about the Reuleaux curve but I am
really interested to find out what it is actually used for.

Thank you!

Date: 03/10/2003 at 15:31:16
From: Doctor Douglas
Subject: Re: Reuleaux curve applications

Hi, Jess,

You will find the Reuleaux curve in the Wankel rotary engine, where
the curve, as it rotates and moves, creates chambers for combustion
within a special shaped housing:

   Wankel Rotary Engines - Theory and Design - Alan Marr
   http://www.monito.com/wankel/rce.html

It is also possible to use Reuleaux curves as "rollers." They're not
wheels (which have a fixed axis), but they will keep a platform at
constant height off the ground as the platform is pushed.

It is possible to use Reuleaux curves to make drill bits that, when
put into specially designed chucks, can drill square, pentagonal,
or hexagonal holes:

   Drilling Square Holes - Scott Smith
   http://upper.us.edu/faculty/smith/reuleaux.htm

For more on the mathematics of the Reuleaux triangle, check out
the following:

   Reuleaux Triangle - Eric Weisstein's World of Mathematics
   http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ReuleauxTriangle.html

- Doctor Douglas, The Math Forum
College Euclidean Geometry
College Geometry