Mathematics, Logic, and Intuition

Date: 05/27/2003 at 03:47:28
From: Anne Xavier
Subject: Nature of math in view of logic and intuition

How is math related to logic and intuition?

Date: 05/27/2003 at 09:08:37
From: Doctor Edwin
Subject: Re: Nature of math in view of logic and intuition

Hi, Anne.

Strictly speaking, logic is just a kind of math. Instead of having
values like 1, 99, or 2935112, in logic you have values of true and
false.

Instead of operations like PLUS and DIVIDED BY, you have operations
like AND and OR.

So instead of arithmetic equations like:

 4    PLUS   11  = 15

you get

 true AND  false = false

The mathematical treatment of logic was invented by George Boole in
1854, so it's often called Boolean algebra. You can modify it to
include more human concepts like "90% true" or "90% certain that it
is true" (two different things, right?).

Some people say that intuition is a process that is beyond the
explanation of logic and mathematics. That's an appealing idea. It'd
be nice to think that there is a place in us that has some kind of
magic, a place where we do a kind of thinking that can't be captured
by rules.

But I think that there can be more magic in complex systems of rules
than is obvious. What do you think?

- Doctor Edwin, The Math Forum
  http://mathforum.org/dr.math/

Date: 05/28/2003 at 12:37:35
From: Doctor Peterson

Hi, Anne.

Did you try searching our site for the word "intuition"? Here is one
discussion that you might find useful:

   Mathematics and Intuition

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum
High School About Math