Trilogy, Tetralogy...

Date: 05/28/2003 at 02:41:14
From: David
Subject: Cardinal/ordinal number systems

If there are ordinal number systems like 1st, 2nd, 3rd, why isn't
there a numbering system for groups like trilogies? I've heard of
quintologies and hexologies but these words don't appear in the
dictionary, (and I've checked many). If a trilogy is possible, why not
a quadrilogy?

In the dictionary a trilogy is defined as a series or group of three.
But I can't find any terms for a group of four, five, six, seven, etc.
Are there terms for number groups other than three?

Thanks for your time.

Date: 06/04/2003 at 16:10:22
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Cardinal/ordinal number systems

Hi, David.

There are several different sets of terms for groups of three,
depending on what you are counting: "trilogy" for books, "trio" for
musicians or other people, "triplet" for children or generic groups,
"triple" for numbers, "triad" for musical notes and so on. Each of
these types of words can be found for other numbers:

  3  trio     triplet     triple     triad
  4  quartet  quadruplet  quadruple  tetrad
  5  quintet  quintuplet  quintuple  pentad

As for four books, considering the fact that trilogy comes from Greek
roots, the proper word would be not "quadrilogy" but "tetralogy"; and
in fact my dictionary lists that. It does not, however, list
"pentalogy" for five books.

The following gives one of these possible lists:

   Naming Nine Things

This lists the Latin and Greek prefixes used to make such words:

   Prefixes in Math

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum

Date: 06/05/2003 at 12:36:46
From: David
Subject: Thank you (Cardinal/ordinal number systems)

That's perfect. Thank you for this service. It's been very helpful.
Associated Topics:
Elementary Definitions
Elementary Number Sense/About Numbers
High School Definitions