How Does the Trick Work?

Date: 06/20/2003 at 01:28:59
From: Ros
Subject: Mathematics Patterns/Tricks

Dr. Math,

From time to time I've run across math tricks that ask me to give a
number, then take me through a series of other questions and by the
time I work my way to the end, the trick tells me my original number.
How does this work?

Date: 06/20/2003 at 13:04:27
From: Doctor Peterson
Subject: Re: Mathematics Patterns/Tricks

Hi, Ros.

Here is an example of such a trick:

   Birthday Number Puzzle Variations

As you'll see there, you can see how the trick works by doing it not
with a specific number, but with a variable. Then you find that all
that is being done undoes itself in the end; the expression you are
evaluating simplifies down to "x".

It wouldn't look like much of a trick if I said this:

  Pick a number
  Multiply it by 7
  Divide that by 7
  Ta-dah! You've got your number back!

It looks just a little more impressive if I say:

  Pick a number
  Multiply it by 7
  Add 35 to that
  Subtract 35 from that
  Divide that by 7
  Ta-dah! You've got your number back!

You can still see that you are just undoing each thing you did.

But it I tangle up this expression,

  (((x * 7) + 35) - 35) / 7

by instead doing this:

  (((x + 5) * 7) - 35) / 7

which means just the same thing, but doesn't have you both adding and
subtracting 35, then it starts to look surprising:

  Pick a number
  Add 5 to it
  Multiply that by 7
  Subtract 35 from that
  Divide that by 7
  Ta-dah! You've got your number back!

If I did a little more to twist it up, you'd never guess the outcome!

All these tricks do is to hide the fact that you are undoing
everything you did.

- Doctor Peterson, The Math Forum
Middle School Algebra
Middle School Puzzles