Regular vs. Equilateral Polygons

Date: 07/24/2003 at 12:12:29
From: Rebecca Sewell
Subject: Regular vs. Equilateral Polygons

What is the difference between a regular polygon and an equilateral
polygon?  I know that an equilateral triangle has 3 sides of equal
length, and it is also a regular polygon.  This is not true for
polygons with more sides. Why?

Date: 07/24/2003 at 12:43:36
From: Doctor Roy
Subject: Re: Regular vs. Equilateral Polygons

Hi,

Thanks for writing to Dr. Math.

The easiest demonstration is a rhombus.  A rhombus is an equilateral
polygon, but it is not regular.  A regular polygon is a polygon where
all the sides have equal length and all angles have equal measure.  So,
a rhombus is equilateral but not regular.  A square is both.

Does this help?  Please feel free to write back with any questions you
may have.

- Doctor Roy, The Math Forum
High School Definitions
Middle School Definitions